Monday 7 May 2012

Exam Time: Studying 101

my desk at the moment and the little things that get me through!
As most of you are no doubt experiencing, the dreaded exams are on the way or are already here for some of you. While I can't give advice on how to study because that's a really personal thing, people's minds don't work in the same way etc, I can tell you how I make studying a little bit easier and less stressful. Hopefully this video will help you out a little bit at this crazy time of year.

Water: When you're studying you'll probably be indoors unless it's particularly nice outside. Some of you will be in a library and if it's anything like my university library they will have the air conditioning blasting! This is why you need to make sure that you stay hydrated and that you drink lots of water whilst you study. This will also refresh your brain and help to keep your skin from getting too dried out.

Snacks: I know that sometimes you can get so wrapped up in studying (I wish!) that you can go for hours without having anything to eat. This is not a good idea because it will make you feel sluggish and not want to study anymore. Therefore, it's important that you eat at your regular mealtimes, try to eat things with as much nutrients in them as possible and I don't mean dieting or anything like that, I mean eat lots of oily fish and lean meats because they're good for your brain and your metabolism which can slow down if you're not moving about so much, fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds and a little bit of chocolate or something sweet when you need a sugar boost. What I like to do when I'm feeling like I'm flagging is have a banana to give me energy and a low fat yoghurt to fill me up till the next meal. Also, I know I shouldn't but I like to have a bag of sweets (Percy Pigs anyone?) open to give me something to chew on while I'm studying.

Breaks: It is so important for you to divide up your studying with breaks. There just comes a point where your brain needs a rest to sort through all the information that's been crammed into it otherwise it can't process anything else. I recommend going for a short walk, the fresh air can clear your mind and the exercise will wake you up a bit. Or do some housework. Sounds odd but it's amazing how soothing hanging up the washing or tidying you room can be after concentrating on studying for so long. Also, your mum will love you for it! haha

Tea & Coffee: Ok, so I know this is not usually recommended because people tend to abuse the caffeine qualities of these drinks but I think a little is fine. I would recommend a cup of coffee during the afternoon when you've been studying for quite a while and your brain gets tired, take a 5 minute break to make yourself a coffee to revive yourself. A cup of tea can do wonders if you begin to panic about exams or if you just feel overwhelmed. Go make yourself a cup of tea and take deep breaths, when you come back to your work you'll be ready to get back into the game.

Stationery: I know some people will think that this is petty but I think it works. If you have nice stationery and pens you'll want to use them! And once you've made your study notes all pretty you'll want to look at them to admire your handywork!

Hopefully some of these tips make studying easier for you and I wish you every success in your exams. Good Luck! And don't let the studying get you down! x x x
P.S. Let me know if you have any other studying tips, I can never have enough!

No comments: